Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Trados: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process

I kept receiving the same irritating error messages today, Error(32): The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process, while processing files in Trados Workbench. Initially, I thought this was due to Microsoft Word or the process, winword.exe, running in the Windows background. Trados, however, still prompting the same error messages after I have restart Trados and ensured that those programs are not running...

After killing some processes from the task manager, I noticed that after the virus scanner was shut down, Trados does not prompt the error message anymore... Hence, to avoid the same error messages, I have decided to disable the scanner every time before I start using Trados.

I am wondering, are any other possibilities that give similar error messages? Like objects in the files that is externally linked to another programs? Hmmm... maybe I shall do some testing some day....

1 comment:

Ed Bradburn said...

Hi Alex,

You might also want to try Process Explorer from Mark Russinovich. It lets you hunt down open files/processes and is free to use.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx